Back in 2015, Boston Big Local(BBL) was awarded £1 Million to invest in the BBL area over a 10 year period.
This Boston Big Local area was chosen, along with 150 other areas in the UK, by the Local Trust to receive a share of the £150 Million pot of money from the National Lottery Community Fund. The Local Trust is responsible for supporting each Big Local Area in achieving their goals.
The original BBL panel researched the main requirements for the BBL area by asked its residents. Concluding that the 4 most important themes are:
- Theme 1 – Health and Wellbeing.
- Theme 2 – A More Attractive Environment
- Theme 3 – Build Community Spirit
- Theme 4 – Encouraging Enterprise
These themes are fundamental to all that we do at Boston Big Local. They guide us to ensure that we invest the money in projects and events that will make the biggest differences to the main issues in the area where we live.
The panel is made up of residents who can share their views and help decide which projects to fund inline with our themes. Also in attendance are support members:
- A project coordinator who helps organise and put into action the residents’ requests.
- A Local Trust Representative who attend each meeting to provide support and answer any questions that may arise with regards to how what we do links with the national scheme.
- An accountant from a Local Trust Organisation who manages the money and pays out the funding.
Only residents can vote, but the support members are valuable to the structure, ensuring all resident decisions are informed with the peace of mind that they will be actioned and fall with the Local Trust framework.
This is a very exciting time for us all at BBL because as we enter the second half of this 10-year project, we have around £500,000 remaining to invest in the area. Along with this we, the residents, have set aside around £100,000 aside for a large project which you as a member of the BBL panel could help shape.
Our monthly meetings are generally held on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 6 pm at Chantry House. If you would like to come along, please do get in touch with us.